Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Oh Joy, Almond Joy Oatmeal!


It's a chocolate craving kind of day. Heck, who am I kidding? My life is one giant chocolate craving. Today is just one of the stronger waves.. and by that I mean I woke up practically drowning in a tidal wave of chocolate craving-ness.
The wonderful thing about chocolate is that it can be super indulgent without having to sacrifice nutrition or go overboard on fat and sugars. Dark chocolate or even straight up cocoa powder can satisfy these deep, primal urges AND add a healthy dose of antioxidants to your diet!
So today I decided to infuse my morning oats with chocolate, coconut and almond. I am a bit limited on grocery options here in Yichang, so I will list the ingredients that I used here but also the ingredients I would definitely use instead if I were in the States!

Decadent Almond Joy Oatmeal
Serves 1

Ingredients

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (would be fun to experiment with rolled oats and quinoa, too!)
1 cup milk  --> if I were in the U.S. I would use almond and/or coconut milk to up the almond-coconuttiness!
1 ripe banana
dash o' almond extract
dash o' salt
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder (you can adjust this to how intense of a chocolate flavor you want)
shredded coconut
chopped almonds

Method

1. Heat milk on medium heat until it comes to a boil (make sure you stir constantly so it doesn't burn!!)
2. Mash dat banana into the milk.
3. Add oats, almond extract, salt, cocoa powder, a bit of shredded coconut, a bit of chopped almonds (save some coconut and almonds for topping!)
4. Stir and cook until oats have absorbed the liquid and they are as tender as you like 'em.
5. Top with extra coconut, almonds, and even a few chocolate chips if you're feeling especially daring this morning ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment